Missing teeth, if untreated, not only affect your confidence and self-image but can also increase the risk of nutritional issues and other systemic health disorders. Thankfully, full or partial dentures are a time-tested solution. At Fryeburg Dental Center, we can get you smiling and chewing again with removable dentures in Mount Washington Valley. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Mike Harper or Dr. Alyssa Hennessy today to learn more about your tooth replacement options.
What are Removable Dentures?
Removable dentures are an option to replace missing teeth in cases of full or partial tooth loss. Dentures feature a gum-colored base crafted from plastic resin. The base is designed to fit over the alveolar ridge, or the bone ridge, that used to hold the teeth. Prosthetic teeth that look and function like natural teeth are attached to the base. Depending on the type of dentures you choose, they’ll be held in place by the suctioning effect that occurs thanks to their close fit against the alveolar ridge. This highlights why having them fitted properly is so important. The large surface area of the palate, or the roof of the mouth, provides extra support, helping make the upper dentures very stable.
There is an adjustment period when you start wearing dentures, particularly when it comes to talking and chewing. Don’t worry; the muscles, ligaments and nerves in the mouth will adapt and work in new ways, allowing you to speak and chew normally again.
There are several types of dentures and the best option will depend on your individual situation. Here’s what we offer at Fryeburg Dental Center:
Types of Full Dentures
- Immediate Dentures – These dentures are placed immediately after tooth extraction and are usually temporary and meant to help you transition to wearing dentures. Since muscular readjustment and shrinkage of the gums occurs as you heal, they won’t fit as well as your eventual permanent dentures. They will give you new teeth right away though and allow you to adjust.
- Conventional Full Dentures – After a healing period, permanent dentures can be fabricated that fit your mouth with almost perfect accuracy. These are carefully designed and crafted to look like your natural teeth and they can last for a long time.
- Implant-Supported Overdentures – We can enhance the stability of your lower or upper denture by anchoring it securely with two or more dental implants. Many of our patients prefer this option because it gives them the ideal balance of value, function and comfort.
Types of Partial Dentures
- Transitional Partial Dentures – These removable, plastic dentures are fairly inexpensive. We sometimes use them to temporarily replace missing teeth and serve as a space maintainer while a patient heals after a tooth extraction. After the healing period, we can then place dental implants.
- Removable Partial Dentures (RPDs): These metal-based, well-constructed partial dentures are usually made of cast vitallium. They’re a lot lighter and more streamlined than plastic dentures. While they are more expensive than their plastic counterparts, they will fit better and are still less expensive than fixed bridgework or dental implants.
Benefits of Removable Dentures
Removable dentures are more affordable than other teeth replacement options.
By replacing missing teeth, you’ll be able to chew and speak properly again.
Improves Facial Appearance
Dentures help support your facial skeleton, as well as your lips and cheeks, giving you a more youthful appearance.
What to Expect
When you visit Fryeburg Dental Center for removable dentures, we’ll take digital impressions of your upper and lower alveolar ridge. The dental lab will use the model to create the base of the dentures. Dr. Harper and Dr. Hennessy will work with the lab technician to craft prosthetic teeth that most closely re-create the look of your natural smile. When you’re happy with the outcome, the temporary dentures will be fabricated in permanent form. Dr. Harper or Dr. Hennessy will carefully check the function, fit and appearance of your dentures to ensure they’re comfortable, work correctly and look fantastic.