At Fryeburg Dental Center, we offer pediatric dentistry to keep growing smiles healthy and bright. Children have unique dental needs and Dr. Harper, Dr. Henessy and Dr. Nutter are experienced in addressing them. At visits, we talk with kids on their level using terms they can understand and we use tried and true behavioral techniques to put kids at ease. We strive to make dental visits positive and fun for patients and parents alike. When little ones like visiting the dentist, it sets the stage for a lifetime of excellent oral health. If you’re looking for a dentist for kids in North Conway, NH, Fryeburg, ME or the surrounding area, schedule your child’s visit with us today! Request an appointment online or call our office at (207) 935-3133.
What is Pediatric Dentistry?
Pediatric dentistry is dentistry for kids! It’s recommended children have their first dental exam by age one. At these early visits, we educate parents on caring for their child’s teeth and gums and watch for developmental problems. Since early childhood caries (cavities) can strike as soon as your child has their first tooth, and they can develop rapidly, dental care at this age is important. Additionally, the primary teeth play a number of roles, including saving space for the permanent teeth to come in correctly, aiding in facial development, and helping with chewing and speaking, so it’s crucial that we keep them healthy.
At Fryeburg Dental Center, we offer an array of dental treatments for kids, including:
- Cleanings and Exams – Our hygienists will get your child’s pearly whites sparkling clean and remove hardened plaque that can’t be eliminated at home. This ensures teeth and gums are healthy. During exams, we’ll make sure your child’s smile is developing according to plan. If we do spot issues, by catching them early, we can address them while treatment is quicker and easier.
- Topical Fluoride Treatments – Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that incorporates into the enamel of the teeth, strengthening it and making it resistant to decay. While your kiddo can get some fluoride in their toothpaste and drinking water, topical fluoride treatments have a higher concentration for maximum cavity protection.
- Dental Sealants – Protective dental sealants are an easy, affordable way to prevent cavities in kids. We simply paint a thin, BPA-free plastic coating on to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth, typically the premolars and molars, to seal the grooves. This helps keep food particles, bacteria and acids from getting into the crevices of the teeth and causing decay. The treatment is quick, painless and offers years of protection.
- Root Canal Treatment – If a baby tooth is damaged due to severe decay or injury, we may perform a root canal to save the tooth. Since the primary teeth are placeholders for the permanent teeth, preventing premature loss of a baby tooth with a root canal can help stop a malocclusion, or bad bite, from forming, which would then require orthodontic treatment.
- Restorative Treatments – When a dental procedure is necessary, we can restore your child’s tooth with treatments, such as a tooth-colored filling, tooth-colored bonding or a pediatric dental crown. Not only will restorative treatment help strengthen and preserve your child’s natural tooth, it will also allow them to smile with confidence.
Benefits of Pediatric Dentistry
Prevents Cavities and Gum Disease
Pediatric dental care is essential for preventing tooth decay and gum disease in kids.
Children (and parents) will learn about their oral health, including how to develop a stellar homecare routine.
We start dental visits off on the right foot, which makes children more likely to keep up with dental care throughout their lives.
What to Expect
We always let kids set the pace at early visits and tailor the experience to their needs. If you have an infant or a toddler, we may have them sit on your lap as we examine them. Older children can hop on up in the dental chair on their own. We show kids any instruments we’ll be using and explain what we’re going to do to put them at ease. We’re big believers in the power of preventative care and treat conservatively. If your child does need dental treatment, we use the latest technology and techniques for gentle, painless and efficient procedures.